Sunday, September 26, 2010

Goal Setting - To make it hard, easy or somewhere in between?

Setting goals for your fitness journey can be challenging.  You need to sit down, with your trainer if you have one, and focus on what you want to achieve.  This could be something as simple as "I want to exercise to have some "me" time" or something more complex like "I want to exercise to lose 10 kilos and improve my health".  Neither of these are easy goals.  Sure the first goal may sound nice and easy but how hard is it to actually get out of the house to exercise?  The problem with the second one is time - you have to realise that it is not going to happen overnight.

It is important when you are setting goals that you are REALISTIC in your goal setting.  We like to suggest that people use the SMART system when setting goals:

S - the goals have to be SPECIFIC - I want me time is not specific enough - I want 30 minutes of ME time 4
times a week is!
M - the goals have to be MEASURABLE - I want to lose weight is not measurable - I want to lose 5 kg is!
A - ATTAINABLE - I want to lose 5 kgs in 2 weeks is NOT attainable - I want to lose 5 kg in 6 weeks is!
R - RESULTS ORIENTATED- when I lose 5 kg I will treat myself - not so good - when I lose 5kg I am going to have a facial
T - TIMELY - put a time frame on your goals - I want to lose 5 kg or I want to exercise to have ME time is not right - You need to put a time frame on it - Starting today I am going to have ME time by exercising - Starting today I am going to start to exercise to reach my goal of 5kg lost in 6 weeks.

Also remember that it is important to reassess your goals frequently as even the best laid plans can be derailed.

Till next time

Gwen and Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment